jyeh74

Cannot open 2019 file - error 190

I used TT Home and Business 2019 CD to do my taxes.  I saved it on my computer but then had to reinstall TT.  This time, I installed Premier 2019 CD.  I'm assuming Home and Business file can be opened using Premier since it should be backwards compatible.  When I open the 2019 TT file using Premier, it is giving me Error 190.

I looked it up

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbot...

I download the CA state return which is free.  But then when I open the file again, it has the same error.  It won't open the home and business file.  Why??

KatrinaLO
Employee TurboTax Specialist

Cannot open 2019 file - error 190

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

mesquitebean

Cannot open 2019 file - error 190

2019 Premier should be able to open any *.tax2019 data file.   However, if the data file has a state return in it, then you had to download the state program into your TurboTax before opening the file, or it produces an Error 190.  Without the state program it doesn't know how to handle the state data present in the *.tax2019 data file.

You say you have now downloaded the 2019 California state program into 2019 Premier.  Did you then close TurboTax and restart your computer?

If not, try that first.

The FAQ doesn't mention that step, but I've found it can help some users after downloading state.

@jyeh74  ADDENDUM 2/16/21 at 6:27 PM Pacific

Also see my comment I left you below about being sure your 2019 CD version of Premier is up to date.  Hopefully, you updated the software after installing the program.

mesquitebean

Cannot open 2019 file - error 190

@jyeh74 

Also, did you run a program update after you installed the CD version of 2019 Premier?    The CD has the very first release from 2019, so it would be way out of date.   Be sure you updated the installed 2019 software to the current version for 2019.