Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

neil-duplantis
Returning Member

Canadian RRSP earning and distribution

I am a dual citizen (US and Canada) living in California.    I know that California requires me to include my RRSP earnings in the tax year earned. 

I could use some guidance.

Let’s say my RRSPs increased in value by Cdn$30,000 in 2023

In 2023 I took distribution of Cdn$35k from these RRSPs which was reported on my NR4 statement and will be included as income (in US$) on my US tax return. 

Do I need to report the C$30 increase in value, or does the C$35k reported as taxable income cover this RRSP growth?   Do I only report RRSP/LIRA growth when it exceeds by distribution draw?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It is a tax-deferred retirement plan from what you describe. As such, you would only pay tax on the distributions from the retirement plan. Income earned in the plan would not be taxed until you took a distribution.  The full amount of a distribution would be taxed, provided you had made no non-tax deferred (after tax) contributions to the plan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
neil-duplantis
Returning Member

Thanks ThomasM, however the State of California does not allow earnings on Canadian RRSPs to be tax deferred until distribution.   Earnings must be declared as income in the year it occurred.   So, unfortunately my question still stands.  

If my 2023 distribution (which is declared as taxable income) exceeds the 2023 earnings, (ie earnings $30k / distribution $35k) do I need to report the $30k increase in value to California?

pwning

Hi Neil. Did u ever find out the answer? I am curious as I have an RRSP and live in California, as well. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies