Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can US citizen married to an F-1 international student, file jointly in TurboTax?

I am a US citizen married to an F-1 international student. We married in October 2022. She (F-1 student) has SSN already as she came to the US via Au Pair program (babysitter). Now she's in college (the whole 2022) and she's not working. She earned $2,040 during her summer internship though (she got 1099-NEC form from them). 

I have two questions + one optional: 
1. Can we file jointly at all? 
2. If we can, can we use TurboTax for that?
3. (Option-based) If we can, should we file jointly? (I earn ~150k, so the difference between MFJ and MFS is pretty big, but I don't want to force it if IRS doesn't like it)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Can US citizen married to an F-1 international student, file jointly in TurboTax?

Yes, you can elect to file a joint return.   If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen and the other is not, you can choose to treat the nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident for tax purposes.

You can complete the return in TurboTax, but you will have to mail it in because you have to attach declarations.  See Nonresident Alien Spouse.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies