turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can un-efiled 2020 turbo tax be imported to 2021 turbo tax

I have an issue with my turbo tax data file that showed as unfile even though i my return akready 🙂

i want to still use tt even though of their bugs but i wonder 

If this uncorrected .tax file that showed unfile status be used to import into 2021 turbo tax . i prefer not to use my pdf file (showed I e filed)

I just want find out if i can use this wrong status tax data file  before I purchase 2021 tt deluxe now .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Will this then enable the TT to assume you filed the tax return and the 2021 program will have no problem importing from the 2020 tax file.

@Anonymous 

If you used a desktop (installed) version of TurboTax and have the 2020 tax file (.tax2020) on your computer, you should not have any issues transferring that return into the 2021 program (note that importing is the wrong term for getting one TurboTax tax file into the following year's program).

I have transferred dozens of test returns from one tax year to the next, that were created with TurboTax, over the years and almost none of them were ever filed (neither e-filed nor printed and mailed for filing). That did not impede the tax files from transferring from one year to the next.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

All you can do is try. If it doesn't work, and if you used the CD version of TurboTax to complete the 2020 taxes, the .tax2020 file is located in the documents\turbotax directory. Assuming you actually completed your tax return with that specific file, and that you still have TurboTax 2020 installed on your computer, simply open the tax file with TurboTax 2020 and under the file tab elect the option to "print and file". Then print the return for filing. At that point, the program will assume you filed the tax return and the 2021 program will have no problem importing from the 2020 tax file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

under the file tab elect the option to "print and file

I was only able to see preview to print, NO print to filing

Using your thought process of printing to mail. Do you think, I can use print to mail since I cannot efile it as it is closed for efiling. Once I do it, I will not mail the return it as I have already efile.

Will this then enable the TT to assume you filed the tax return and the 2021 program will have no problem importing from the 2020 tax file.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous 

If you used a desktop (installed) version of TurboTax and have the 2020 tax file (.tax2020) on your computer, you should not have any issues transferring that return into the 2021 program (note that importing is the wrong term for getting one TurboTax tax file into the following year's program).

I have transferred dozens of test returns from one tax year to the next, that were created with TurboTax, over the years and almost none of them were ever filed (neither e-filed nor printed and mailed for filing). That did not impede the tax files from transferring from one year to the next.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

I was able to import the tax file 2021 to my new TT Deluxe 2022,

But I hope this year TT 2022 will not have bugs I experienced last year ( Foreign Credit schedule 1116 missing) and incorrect efiling status ( efiled but TT has no record of it thus had to use this incorrect 2021 tax file to import to 2022) 

Wishing everyone to have a better tax filing this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies