Bill1043

Can TurboTax 2017 use 2 married filing separately return data files from 2016 to help create a 2017 joint return?

Last year I used TurboTax 2016 to file married filing separately returns for both me and my wife.  This year I want to file a joint return.  Can TurboTax 2017 use both data files from 2016 to populate historical information in the 2017 joint return?

Zbucklyo

No, it can't.  Instead, start with one taxpayer from last year (who you want to be the primary - or first - taxpayer on the joint return), and transfer over that record.  Then you will have to add information relevant to the other taxpayer.

Zbucklyo

Bill1043

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I was pretty sure that would be the answer, but I thought I'd give it a shot.