Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't report 1/3 remaining balance

Doing my taxes and trying to report the final 1/3 tax due on the COVID distribution I took in 2020. I've followed the directions Turbo Tax posted 3 weeks ago and it doesn't work for me. I think the problem is there isn't a step (after saying I had a covid-related disaster distribution) where it asks me to input the total amount distributed. On the page titled Did You take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution? is where I am having trouble. It is asking for numbers and fields from my 2021 return but the directions posted as a supposed solve is talking about 2020 -8915E. Also, in those directions/steps they stop after mentioning 3 boxes - whereas there are 4 on the page I am talking about. I don't have any boxes checked and just want to report the final 1/3 balance. Is there a fix besides the ones I linked above? No matter which return (2020 or 2021) I use to input the numbers, nor where I input the amounts on that page, I get the error message that I need to go back AFTER getting to the pages that ask first about the owning a foreign bank account (no) and then Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020? (I say yes and it says I need to return to the page I just did! gah). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is a workaround provided by expert DanaB27 that is working-  

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Try both options if necessary. 

Please try these steps to fix the issue: 

1. Login to your TurboTax Account  
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”   
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”  
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R, answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R, then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R, click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info ” screen) 
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen 
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?" 
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue 
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen, I selected the blank entry and clicked "back 
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020, check here" and continue. 

Another option is to delete "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information: 

2. Open or continue your return in TurboTax. 
  3. Select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools" in the left menu. 
  4. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form". 
  5. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions. 
  6. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”   
  7. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”  
  8. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R, answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R, then enter all 1099-R, and after entering your last 1099-R, click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info ” screen) 
  9. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen 
  10. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?" 
  11. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020, check here" and enter your information. 

Please let us know if this works for you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This doesn't solve my problem at all. First of all there is not any pages or prompts that ask me to enter the whole amount distributed (I thought I saw that written somewhere there is). When I am on the page in question that is asking about the COVID distribution, it's asking for info from my 2021 return 8915-F which I have. What am I supposed to put in the first box that asks: 2021 Form 8915F, line 11, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0. On my form I do not have it checked. I have tried putting in the 1/3 amount and tried putting in 0. (even though I don't have it checked). What do I enter in that box?

Please help!? Does anyone know? 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Leave that blank since you did not check the box for line 11.

Here is a link for more information 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies