Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't find previous years tax files or saved pdf format of returns

I've been using TT desktop since 2013. Sure, TT gets the job done. However, TT has NEVER transferred my previous years tax info let alone my general personal info from the previous year to the current year. I always save the .tax file in multiple locations & folders as well as the PDF version of my taxes every single year. But, when I go to find any previous year they are nowhere to be found as neither .TAX nor .PDF. Now, every time I go to do my taxes I always end up spending a ridiculous amount of time (what ends up being a few hours if not an entire day) looking for my prior years tax return for reference & never have I ever been able to find either version of my taxes. Some how when they "Update" (if you're reading this you know exactly what I'm talking about) the TT program, a new disc or a previous years disc is "Installing" the software, it somehow runs a VIRUS or BUG that wipes the computer clean of all other TT files even if it's PDF. I don't know why I bother because I always end up having to start from scratch every year. I was screwed back during Covid when they allowed NOLs to be carried back 3-years. I took a huge loss in 2018, I couldn't even find the file to amend it. If or when I get audited some day Intuit is going to totally F**K ME!!!

I'm always a couple of years behind when filing my taxes and I always use the desktop version for PC and have been using the same laptop since doing my 2018 taxes in 2020?. Today I tried again to bring up 2018 & 2019 taxes to use as referral material & it's crazy, I have multiple saves of the 2018 return. TT will only let me open one & it has numbers on it that weren't even close to matching the return I filed back when I did. Then,  TT won't let me open the other 2018 tax files (& the PDF files have magically disappeared from their folders), instead it gives me an error about multiple state returns needing to be downloaded and paid for AGAIN in order to open them.

Luckily, I print a copy to have on-hand every year when I file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Were you able to solve your issue? You should be logging into your TurboTax Account each year so your files are saved. If you have not logged into your account each year, then when you install/download the next year it deletes all prior years.

If you have not logged in or saved the files on your computer, you will not be able to retrieve those files.  

Starting this year, you will be forced to log into your account to download.

If not, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

[Edited 1.19.24 \ 12:10PM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I always end up signing into turbo tax every year anyway for help because the same issue of information not transferring year-to-year with the PC edition has yet to be solved. I don't do TT online at all.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies