turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

cdx
Level 2

Can not login to Morgan Stanley Stockplan Connect to import tax data. Tells me invalid username or password. I can access the site directly using same credentials..

Not it's 6/22/2020 and the issue is still there...

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Can not login to Morgan Stanley Stockplan Connect to import tax data. Tells me invalid username or password. I can access the site directly using same credentials..

If you happen to have a password with special characters for your brokerage account, it may cause problems on your investment import. The workaround is to change your password on the account to something without special characters, complete the import, then change it back to your original password.

You may also opt to type in the information manually.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
posix
Returning Member

Also Cisco employee. My password contains no special characters and is 16 characters long. Still not able to login. I am getting error:

That didn’t work. Try signing in again. (103)

cdx
Level 2

My user name and password don't have any special characters. Here TurboxTax doesn't work with Morgan Stanley StockPlan Connect, but does work with Fidelity. Being a software developer, I'm pretty sure this is a bug in TurboTax. Some dev guy (rather than a support guy) from Intuit should look into the issue, since it has been reported by many people for a long period of time... If there is an API issue in the Morgan Stanley's system, it's Incuit's responsibilty to report this to Morgan Stanley and get it fixed. BTW, I think it's Incuit's responsibilty to make the error message meaningful -- TurboTax can't just tell me "it's not working and you should guess what goes wrong..."

In short, the root cause is still unclear and I think Intuit should assign a techinical guy to investigate the issue since it can reproduce very easily.

posix
Returning Member

Just got off the phone with Mogran Stanley Stock plan connect. The representative just read from an internal FAQ they have and it says if there is any issue importing tax information from stock plan connect to TurboTax, then please contact TurboTax.

Thanks CDX, just adding more info as I came across this thread and saw this is a known issue.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, if the import feature does not work, you will have to enter the data manually. Here's how:

Here's how you enter your 1099-B in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return if it isn't already open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for 1099-B and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2019? If you see Here's the info we have for these investment sales, select Add More Sales.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. At Let's get your tax info, choose how you want to enter your 1099-B (type it in yourself).
  6. Follow the instructions.

Here's how to enter a 1099-INT:

1. Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-INT and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you receive any interest income? If you see Here's the interest we have so far, select Add interest income.
  4. On the following screen, select how you want to enter your 1099-INT and follow the on-screen instructions.

Here's how to enter your 1099-DIV in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for 1099-DIV and select the Jump to link in your search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you receive any dividend income?
  4. Choose your bank or brokerage from the list to import your 1099-DIV and select Continue or manually enter your 1099-DIV  by selecting I'll type it in myself.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter your 1099-DIV.

@posix

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How to enter a summary in lieu of individual transactions

Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category, for example "Box A short-term covered" or "Box D long-term covered". You'll enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction.

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online (if it's not already open) and search for stock sales in the upper-right corner.
  2. Click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to both Did you sell any investments? and Did you get a 1099-B?
    • If you land on Here's the investment sales info we have so far, select Add More Sales. Then answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B?
  4. On the Choose Your Bank or Brokerage import screen, select I'll type it in myself.
  5. Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.
  6. On the following screen (Tell us about...) select the second option, I'll enter a summary.
  7. On the same screen, enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Done.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter additional sales or to view a summary.

When you are done entering all your sales transactions, you'll eventually come to the Here's the investment sales info we have so far screen. Here you can edit, delete, or enter more sales.

Related Information:         

cdx
Level 2

Thanks for providing the workaround, but it can not really work for me because I have 70+ records in the 1099-B  so it's pretty time-consuming to manually enter the records and that's rather error-prone. IIRC, I suffered from exactly the same issue last year... I can't believe the issue has been there for at least several months and is still unresolved. Next year I'll check this post before deciding which tax-reporting software to buy.

posix
Returning Member

Thanks GiseleD,

Just got off a 2hr phone call with TurboTax CPA. Had to dig and find my 3922 form from 2018....

Even with a CPA this was time consuming and very challenging.  The cost basis was not automatically calculated so had to enter that manually and do division and multiplication - yes grade school math but when you are having to do this for taxes it might as well by calculus based physics.

The bottom line this is not acceptable really wish TurboTax would resolve this.

For others reading this post in the future this is a word to the wise ...   Each year a form 3922 is required a paper copy is mailed to you and the instructions on it are to keep it for income tax purposes in the future.  This form should be kept in a safe place for easy reference in the future because the broker is often incorrect in their basis info which is why the 3922 is provided to you.  

tschieggm

I'm having all of the same issues myself this year. This is very frustrating.

Morgan Stanley Stock Plan Connect has sent me the 1099-B and other IRS forms. When I try to import TurboTax Premier 2020 gives me the below messages. I can't find a way to contact Intuit, or TurboTax support. Anyone have and email address or telephone number for them?  Or is this just a fly by the seat or peer pants - that can't update the software to import documents that are available?

No Documents Currently Available For Import

According to Morgan Stanley StockPlan Connect documents will be ready for import on following dates

Form 1099-B available from Tuesday, 02 March 2021 at 00:00:00 PT onwards

Form 1099-DIV available from Tuesday, 02 March 2021 at 00:00:00 PT onwards

Form 1099-INT available from Tuesday, 02 March 2021 at 00:00:00 PT onwards

I still can not log in to transfer/import tax data. This is the same issue I have had in previous years. I have changed my password to only include plain text and still it doesn't work. Either you are going to fix this or not. I'm about done trying to use this feature and I guess my answer is to use a different tax software. 

This clown show is back.   Still the same problem here in March 2021.

Gives the message:

"That didn’t work. Try signing in again."

Tried changing the password 3 times.   Long password, avoided special characters.

It is still broke. 

Since this is an every year occurrence now, I'm going to try HR Block this time.   Maybe just to compare notes with Turbotax, but I may just switch to HR Block going forward to avoid this hassle.

I agree with you. I will give another tax prep software a try. I can understand having an issue but not year after year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies