Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my parents and I both claim my status if i made 14000. Working and a full time nursing student but they also supported me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can my parents and I both claim my status if i made 14000. Working and a full time nursing student but they also supported me

If you are under the age of 24, you can be claimed as a qualified child if you were a full-time student in 2023.  If your parents can claim you, then on your own return you must say that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

Even if you can be claimed as a dependent you can still file a tax return to seek a refund of tax withheld from your paychecks.   

If you were older than 23 at the end of 2023, no one else can claim you as a dependent.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

How old are you?

If you are under 24 and a full time student, then your parents would still claim you as a dependent even if you made $14,000.  When you file your return, you will check the box that says someone else can claim you as a dependent.

If the below applies to you, then your parents can claim you as a dependent.  If not, then since you made over $14,000, they cannot claim you as a dependent.  

The following criteria must be met to claim someone as a qualifying child:

• Your child (including adopted and foster children), your sibling, or a descendent of any of them.
  • Age 18 or younger at the end of the tax year OR under 24 (and younger than you and your spouse) if they are a full-time student
  • Lived with you for more than 6 months during the tax year
  • They did not provide more than half of their own support
  • They did not file a joint return, unless it was to claim a refund
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies