j_overall18

Can my mom claim me as a dependent? I turned 20 in June of 2020 but I was not a full-time student for 5+ months during 2020. She did provide most of my support.

My mom is saying she CAN claim me because she supported me in 2020. When I go to the IRS website it says to be a dependent I need a valid social, to not be claimed by multiple people, and meet all 4 qualifying child tests. I meet 3 of the 4 tests. I don't pass the age test being over 19 and not a full-time student. So while my mom did support me, if I don't meet the age test can she claim me?
Jessmore

Well it depends, did you work? If so and made over 4000 dollars then no she technically can't. If you don't work or made less than 4000 dollars then she can.

Show mom the rules ....

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.
  • They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.
  • They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children
  •       They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4300  (not counting Social Security)
  • You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

• Does a dependent have to live with me?

• What does "financially support another person" mean?

• Can I claim a newborn baby?