Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my minor/kid use the same turbotax software I purchased to fill their tax return?

Can my minor/kid use the same TurboTax software I already purchased to fill their tax return? Or they need to use the TurboxTax free version to do that instead? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Can my minor/kid use the same turbotax software I purchased to fill their tax return?

If you use TurboTax Desktop, you can e-file up to five federal tax returns.  If you use TurboTax Online, you will have to create login ID's for each tax return that you prepare.

Refer to the TurboTax Help articles: Can I file multiple returns with TurboTax?,How many returns can I e-file in the TurboTax Desktop software? and How do I start another return in TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you have the CD/download then members of your family can use it to prepare and e-file their returns.  With the CD/download you get up to five federal e-files.   If you have a "minor kid" preparing their first tax return--supervise it.  It is important for them to say in My Info that they can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  Kids filing first returns often mess that up and create big problems for parents.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you bought the Desktop CD/Download program they can use it.  The Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 for free.  Go up to File-New Tax Return

But if you used the Online web version, Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Or go to the IRS Free File programs

Free File: Do your Federal Taxes for Free | Internal Revenue Service

Thanks, I am using Desktop version for Mac.

It is still not clear to me that if my kid could use it to fill their return, as I am wondering if the kid might use their own email address to file the return. The link you provided saying this: 

`Per IRS rules, you can only e-file up to five federal returns using the same email address or phone number with personal tax return preparation products.`. It mentions `same email address`. 

Does this still mean that my kid could use the same TurboTax premier software I already bought for their tax return purpose,  for free for both federal and state tax return purpose (I also already paid the state tax one for Turbotax)? 

hmm, I am using Desktop one. So this means indeed my kid could use the same Turbotax software I bought for their federal and state tax return for free? 

Yes but you know there is a fee to efile the state return or you can print and mail state for free.

And...Be careful when filing other returns.  Be sure to save frequently, go up to File-Save or Save As.  Save each return with a name you can tell apart from another one.  Especially if another return has the same name or initial.  Like a father and son.  Or if you have the same name the second return might overwrite the first one.  

Yes that is what it means.   Your desktop software lets you --- or other members of your household, etc. -- prepare and e-file up to five federal tax returns and state returns for the specific state that you chose when you downloaded the software.  There is a fee to e-file a state return---so to avoid that $25 state e-file fee, he can print and mail his state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I already paid the TurboTax state tax filling fee $25 for my own tax return.

Does this mean I would have to pay another $25 for my kid to fill their own state tax later, if we want to e-file state tax return? 

@ windybird wrote:

I already paid the TurboTax state tax filling fee $25 for my own tax return.

Does this mean I would have to pay another $25 for my kid to fill their own state tax later, if we want to e-file state tax return? 

In the desktop version, every state return that is efiled has a $25 efile fee.   Exception:  there is no state efile fee in NY state.

There is no fee to print and mail a state return.

hmm, is this also true for TurboTax free version?

@ windybird wrote:

hmm, is this also true for TurboTax free version?

No, there is no state efile fee in the Online Free Edition.  All the comments above in this thread are about your desktop version.  I'll add "desktop version" to my comment above.

The Free Edition has no fee to prepare or efile Federal and State--IF one qualifies to use it.  It is only for simple returns.  Here's some info about Free Edition.  Your child would need his/her own Intuit Account.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp

If there are situations or certain income items that can't be prepared in Free Edition, it would prompt an upgrade to a paid Online edition.   If that were to happen, then in Online Deluxe the fee would be $59 for Federal and $59 for State (fees may increase April1)--a lot more expensive than your desktop version.   If an upgrade were necessary, however, we can tell you how to download the *.tax2023 data file and continue it in your desktop software and file from there instead. Or he/she could just start over in your desktop program.

The Free Edition is an Online version.   They can do their own returns online with their own email address.  Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

ee-ea
Level 15

If  you are using FREE each child should have their own account

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies