Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my daughter use her own address as her permanent address while in school out of state, or must she use my address if I claim her as a dependent?

She lives off campus.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can my daughter use her own address as her permanent address while in school out of state, or must she use my address if I claim her as a dependent?

Hmmm...if she live there all year round, probably OK to use that College address.

BUT

IF she moves around, or leaves for the summer, it might be best to use your home address....just in case there is any correspondence from the IRS that must be replied to...you/she doesn't want it being sent to an address where she is no longer there...or at least has someone there reliable to help (i.e. yourself).  Mail forwarding doesn't always work seamlessly, and some Govt letters have "Do Not Forward" on them.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If she is filing a tax return she should use an address where she receives mail, in case the IRS ever needed to contact her.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Yes, she can.   If you qualify to claim her, you won't be asked to enter her address on your tax return.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hmmm...if she live there all year round, probably OK to use that College address.

BUT

IF she moves around, or leaves for the summer, it might be best to use your home address....just in case there is any correspondence from the IRS that must be replied to...you/she doesn't want it being sent to an address where she is no longer there...or at least has someone there reliable to help (i.e. yourself).  Mail forwarding doesn't always work seamlessly, and some Govt letters have "Do Not Forward" on them.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies