floydsr

Can my 19 year old boys who graduate high school 2016, whom I am claiming , file their 2016 W2s for under $2000 in earnings next year with their 2017 W2s.

I have twin 19year old boys who attended high school and graduated in June & August 2016.  They both received under $2000 ea on W2s,. I am claiming them this year, and was wondering can they report these W2s next year along with 2017 W2s, to get their federal withholdings back from this years W2?

MinhT

No, they cannot report their 2016 forms W-2 in 2017.

To obtain a refund of tax withheld, they need to file 2016 tax returns (one return for each boy). They need to indicate on their returns that they can be claimed as a dependent by someone else in the Personal Info of TurboTax.

MinhT