turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can IRA UBTI losses be carried over to future years to offset UBTI gains in those coming years on 990T form?

Hi,

My IRA is a limited partner in RE syndications that provides K1s which include UBTI-related gains or losses.

1. Can IRA UBTI losses be carried over to future years to offset UBTI gains in those coming years?
  2. Can the old 990T filings be amended, and how many years back can I go, if I had losses the IRA could have carried over to offset current year UBTI gains?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can IRA UBTI losses be carried over to future years to offset UBTI gains in those coming years on 990T form?

@frank112 why would it matter? 

if everything is occuring within the IRA,  there are no tax consequences - there is no capital gain tax on the gains nor are they reduced due to any losses.... once money comes out of the IRA, it is all taxed as ordinary income...

It sure does as the IRA has to file and pay UBTI on the 990T each year the gain is >= $1K and the tax is a huge % of the UBTI profit.

dmertz
Level 15

See the instructions for Schedule A (Form 990-T) Part II line 17:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i990t.pdf

Thanks, I will check it out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies