Solved: Can I write on a typed tax return before submitting or will they reject it?

Can I write on a typed tax return before submitting or will they reject it?

There's no law - at least not yet - that every income tax return that's filed by mail has to be machine printed.   Plenty of income tax returns are still being mailed in filled out by hand, and I guarantee you that lots of those income tax returns have white-out all over them.

White-out what needs to be whited out and enter correct numbers by hand, recheck your math and you'll be fine.

Tom Young

They will probably miss any handwritten or typed notes on a mailed return.  What do you want to add?

You're still allowed to file a tax return written by hand...I guess it depends on what it is you want to add in.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

i dont have a printer and I'm being lazy. i realized that i should add my withheld refund in box 65 so it can be applied to what I owe them. so I was going to white out what is already there ( it is typed -- I did it on turbotax but then had to file by mail b/c of issues with my pin) and physically write in the new amounts. but i dont want to risk them rejecting it if it is partly written, partly typed. thank you!!

Withholding goes in box 64.  Only estimated payments and a refund applied from last year go in box 65.  Why don't you want to efile (or can't you efile)?  Then you can go back in and add the missing info and efile.  You can switch to efiling from mailing.

sorry, I meant box 65. I have a witholding that is more than I owe.

they won't let me efile. it is an issue with my PIN and some old fraud scam or something.

I still have the question of will the IRS accept a document that is part written, part typed?

It is part typed....from turbotax....but there are 3 boxes I whited-out and hand wrote in. it is boxes 65, 74, 75 and 78. and my direct deposit.

do you think they will not accept my application because a part of it is handwritten ?

Oh, I guess based on the other questions you posted you made estimated payments that go on line 65.   I don't know but if it was me I would try that.  What's the worse that could happen?  They would mail it back?

yeah and I have to wait another 5-10 weeks !!!!

thanks for the help!

Tom Young

Thank you So much ToM!! I even signed my first and last initual next to the white out. haha. thank you!

tom- do I NEED to have a form 888 filled out in order to use direct deposit, or can I just fill out my routing and account number on the 1040 box 76b & d ?

If you just want you money back simply fill out the Form 1040 information.  If you want to use the refund to buy bonds using some or all of the refund, that's when you need Form 8888.

8888 is for splitting the refund into 2 different accounts, like half to checking and half to savings.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪