tajie_2000

Can I still claim head of household for a grandparent even though the grandparent isn't in the house with me??

AndreaG

No. In order to claim head of household, the individual has to live with you for more than half the year. The only exception to this is if you were single as of the end of the 2016 and you were claiming your parent as a dependent. Please refer to the following FAQ to learn more. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4791157

tajie_2000

Even though the house is in my Granny's name, and the Bills, and I take care of the property and maintain the home I am no longer able to claim head of household?? I'm gonna miss it!! But I thought I'd better ask just to be sure.