As long as you haven't already mailed your 2017 paper return, you can switch to the e-filing method (through October 15, 2018). Some states now require e-filing their returns, and federal and state returns must be e-filed together.
On the other hand, if you already mailed your return, don't e-file. This can cause problems with the government, including refund delays.If you wish to change how you'll file your taxes in TurboTax, follow the steps below for TurboTax Online:
- Open your return, if it's not already open, and select File from the menu on the left (if you don't see it, click or tap the 3 white lines in the upper-left corner to expand).
- On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
- Now select the Start button to the right of Step 3. This will take you to Here are your filing choices. Select I'd like to change filing methods.
- Change your filing method to E-file and save your selection.
- Continue following the onscreen instructions to e-file your return.
- Finally, be sure to keep an eye on your email to track the status of your tax return.