turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2b3t

Can I prepare another return on my account? Isn't it up to 5 and if so how to I switch to another?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I prepare another return on my account? Isn't it up to 5 and if so how to I switch to another?

Are you a taxpreparer?
2b3t

No
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No, you cannot file another person's return from your online account.  You have to create a new account for that person and report his or her information under their new account.  If you're preparing multiple returns for family members, it's more economical to switch to the TurboTax CD/Download software, which lets you e-file up to 5 federal returns at no additional cost. More info

If you started your 2016 return in TurboTax Online and want to switch to the TurboTax software, here's how.

1.  Save your online return as a tax data file.

2.  Sign out of TurboTax Online.

3.  Install your 2016 TurboTax software.

o    If you have not purchased TurboTax Desktop software, click here to select the product you need to complete                         your return.

o    Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s),                                 otherwise you'll get Error 539.

4.  Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return in the software program.

5.  Browse to where you saved your .tax2016 file and click Open.

6.  If you get an error, delete your tax data file and repeat these steps from the beginning.

7.  (Optional) Once you've confirmed that your online return opens properly in the software, you can 

clear your online return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies