Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 dividends are $11387 but the summary shows over $42000. There is a duplicate somewhere but I can't get to it and delete it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099 dividends are $11387 but the summary shows over $42000. There is a duplicate somewhere but I can't get to it and delete it.

You can preview your tax return without paying the TurboTax fees.

You need to be inside your tax return as you follow the steps below. 

• Please click on Tax Tools in the column on the left side of your Turbo Tax screen. 
  • Then click on Tools; (See the screenshot below)
  • Then View Tax Summary (See the second screenshot below)
  • Click on "Preview my 1040" in the left column. (See the third screenshot below)
Or, you can print your returnIf you have not paid for your TurboTax fees, you will be prompted to do so.Click on Tax Tools in the column on the left.
  • Click on Print Center
  • Click on Print, save or preview this year's return
  • Follow the prompts.
  • Once you have the forms displayed in PDF, scroll to Schedule B.

View solution in original post

23 Replies

You can preview your tax return without paying the TurboTax fees.

You need to be inside your tax return as you follow the steps below. 

• Please click on Tax Tools in the column on the left side of your Turbo Tax screen. 
  • Then click on Tools; (See the screenshot below)
  • Then View Tax Summary (See the second screenshot below)
  • Click on "Preview my 1040" in the left column. (See the third screenshot below)
Or, you can print your returnIf you have not paid for your TurboTax fees, you will be prompted to do so.Click on Tax Tools in the column on the left.
  • Click on Print Center
  • Click on Print, save or preview this year's return
  • Follow the prompts.
  • Once you have the forms displayed in PDF, scroll to Schedule B.

I did as you say and got the summary. The dividends on line 9 are $42K and should be $13K. This review will not let me go to schedule B or make any corrections. Is there a way to do this before filing? Thanks again!!

At this point you should pay the TurboTax fees, then contact us and have the software download pushed to you.   Please go to <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number?jump_to=answer_3300041">...> for further information on how to contact TurboTax.
Read all the way through the instructions under TurboTax Online.  When you call, be sure to tell them you are using TurboTax Premier.

You should be able to edit the information on the input screen.

• Click on Federal
  • Click on Wages & Income
  • Scroll to Dividends on 1099-DIV and click the Edit/Add button

On the "Here's the dividend info we have so far" screen, you should be able to look at the amount of Capital Gains Distribution, Exempt Dividends, and Ordinary Dividends. (See the screenshot below)

Compare the amounts on the screen to you Forms 1099-DIV.

If you see duplicates, click the Delete button, or if the amounts are wrong click the Edit button.

Thanks. I've done exactly what you suggest several times. The total dividends from all posted sources is actually $16K. They are all listed there. However, over on the summary page, dividends show $42K for 2017. I even deleated all the dividend postings and started over and the $42 K is still there??

It can come from other places.  Did you get any K-1 forms?

But if Schedule B and the actual 1040 is right, ignore the summary.  If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it’s right.

10-4

Can I make changes on the actual 1040 before filing or do I have to make them on the work sheet?

Because you are using TurboTax Online, you will need to make the changes on the input screens.

Thanks. The Dividend input screen is correct. It lists the various dividends from all the sources that I have entered. Total is $13,000. However, on the Wages and Income summary showing everything, 1099 dividends show $42,000. So, my input and the summary are way off and I can't figure out how to correct the $42,000??

Can I do it on the actual 1040 before filing?

Jerry

What shows up on the actual 1040?

Don't know yet. Can I pull it up before I file? Thanks

See Additional Answer

The 1040 preview shows the incorrect $42K dividends on line 9 but there is no way to make a correction on this preview unless you can tell me how. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies