Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

psergojan

Can I import a TurboTax desktop file into the online portal to see my previous year's return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I import a TurboTax desktop file into the online portal to see my previous year's return?

You can Transfer a 2022 Desktop return into the 2023  Online version if that's what you mean.

You will need the data file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023 either to the Online version or the Desktop program. Are you on Windows or Mac? Be sure to save your return (go up to File-Save or Save As) and know where it is and it's name. On Windows it should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. And you should copy it to a flash drive or backup incase your computer crashes.

If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer. How to clear and start over
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version. You need to have the prior year .tax2022 file on your computer. Expand the link if you used the CD/download last year........
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No, there's no way to bring a desktop TurboTax file into TurboTax online so that you can see the previous year's tax return. The only way to open a .tax20yy file is with the desktop TurboTax software for the corresponding year.

You should always save a PDF of your tax return after you file so that you can view it in the future.

You can get a free transcript of a previous year's tax return from the IRS. See the following link.

Get your tax records and transcripts

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies