Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I get an extension to file my 2022 tax return because I want to wait until the IRS has my Wage & Income Transcript for 2022 ready?

I have W2Gs that I misplaced and I cannot get them because I am not sure where I got them. I live in Vegas and have won a couple times that initiated W2Gs but dont remember the bars where this happened.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I get an extension to file my 2022 tax return because I want to wait until the IRS has my Wage & Income Transcript for 2022 ready?

Go to this TurboTax website to e-file an extension request form 4868 - https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

An extension only gives you six additional months to file the tax return.  It does NOT give you six additional months to pay any taxes owed.  Taxes owed must be paid on or before April 18, 2023 to avoid a failure to pay penalty.

Thank you. I usually get a return. If I do owe, I wouldn't have a clue what that would be because I need all the things reported to the IRS for 2022 to acurately due my taxes. I dont understand how the IRS could require you to do your taxes before 4/18 but not give you access to the things reported to them about you from the previous year. 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, file an extension by April 18, 2023 and you have until October 16, 2023 to finish your taxes. While the IRS requires you to file Form 4868 for your federal extension, each state has its own requirements for obtaining a similar state tax extension. If you need to file your state tax return later, please see the information here for assistance.

@davidchilcoat 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies