Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I get a two week extension to get my records together. I had an accident last week and I don't have the details due to my health state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Can I get a two week extension to get my records together. I had an accident last week and I don't have the details due to my health state.

You can also file an extension (Form 4868 - Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return).  TurboTax can do this electronically.

An extension gives you until October 15, 2024 to file your taxes instead of the tax deadline of April 15, 2024. You must file an extension by April 15, 2024 to get extra time to file your taxes without a penalty. There's no further extension past October 15, 2024.

An extension does not give you extra time to pay your taxes, which are due on April 15, 2024. Even if you can't pay your taxes by the deadline, file an extension anyway so you can avoid the late-filing penalty.

If you owe a tax liability, you can make an estimated payment at the time that you file for an extension (to possibly avoid any filing penalties and interest).

To file an Extension:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on Federal tab.
  3. Click on Other Tax Situations.
  4. Click on down arrow to right of Other Tax Forms Amend return, file extension, estimated taxes, miscellaneous forms.
  5. Click on Start to right of File an Extension.

TurboTax FAQ: How do I file an IRS tax extension?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

An extension request for tax year 2023 using Form 4868 had to be filed on or before April 15, 2024 (April 17, 2024, if you live in Maine or Massachusetts).

There are not second extensions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies