Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can i finish my return if my ss# is wrong on my w2

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Can i finish my return if my ss# is wrong on my w2

The best thing you can do, is to have your employer correct your W-2.  You will not be able to electronically file with your social security number incorrect.  


Until it is corrected, the IRS will not have the document available to match to your social security number and it could lead to an examination of your return because of the mismatch.


Additionally, if your social security number is incorrect, then you will not get credit for those wages with the Social Security Administration and your future benefits would be affected. 


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings