Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file through the free version if I sold stock last year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

An investment sale can only be reported using the Premier edition or higher, not the Free edition.

It seems odd that I am punching in all the information of my stocks yet you cannot hit file taxes unless I pay you $160.00. I have been a long time customer but this will be the last time i use Turbo tax ( rip offs )

What version are you using and how many state returns do you need to prepare? There is no federal product that costs $160. Did you choose the optional TurboTax Live product which includes live help from a TurboTax representative? See this link for TurboTax online pricing: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Samoss9

I'm in this situation as well. We have to pay $169 to report $22 in stocks. I'm finding a different service. 

You can buy and install on your computer the Basic product which is $40 on 2/10/22 which has Schedule D that is need to report stock sales. Basic does not include a State return so you should upgrade to Deluxe for $70 if you need to prepare and file a state return. The $70 includes efiling up to 5 federal returns. Efiling of state returns is extra.

Use this link to buy it: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies