Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can i file for an extension on turbotax software?

3 Replies
New Member

Can i file for an extension on turbotax software?

Hello there,

Yes, For this tax season, the TurboTax Easy Extension feature will be available to customers in late March.  You'll be able to file an extension through TurboTax by following these steps:

 1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab
 2. Click on the Other Tax Situations sub-tab
 3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms section
 4. Select File An Extension

The important thing to remember about extensions is that they only extend your time to file the return.  If you owe money, then the IRS and states expect you to pay by the normal tax deadline -- there's no extension for paying. So if you're filing an extension and you believe you'll owe, then you'll want to mail a check to the IRS or state. 

You can also download Form 4868 from the IRS website, print it and fill it out manually, and mail it by April 15. Complete instructions will be on your printout. **Link below to print form:

I hope this was helpful, thanks again for being apart of the TurboTax Family!

jay hidano
New Member

Can i file for an extension on turbotax software?

Hawaii automatic tax form return missing from the Hawaii version in the S and C Corp. file.

Expert Alumni

Can i file for an extension on turbotax software?

Please advise if you cannot view Form N-301 in the TurboTax Business Forms mode (icon at top right in blue bar).  Look in the list of forms in the left column, and use the Open Forms button/Search window at the top of that column to find Hawaii Form N-301.


If you cannot resolve your issue by the due date of your return, the Hawaii Form N-301 is at this link, including the instructions for internet filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies