Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlee3

Can I file as married filing jointly with me claiming foreign income exclusion and my spouse not?

I am a US citizen living and working overseas. I meet the requirements for foreign income exclusion. Only US sourced income I have is interest income which is about $300. My spouse is a resident alien (green card holder) living and working in the US and does not live in the country with me. He does not have any foreign sourced income.

We were wondering if we could file married filing jointly with me claiming foreign income exclusion and my spouse not. Or would it be much better if we filed separately?

Thank you very much.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I file as married filing jointly with me claiming foreign income exclusion and my spouse not?

The exclusion is a per person thing so you can take it even if they don't ... even if you file a joint return.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

yes -- you can. Just make sure that one income ( US resident person) is entered under the W-2 screen while the other ( foreign resident) is entered  under "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion" screen  --- to reach this  , under personal income , select "I will work of my own..." and then from the drop down list of categories of income, near the bottom,  " not-Common..." , here select "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion" and follow instructions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies