Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file as Head-of-Household if I and my dependent child moved out of my parent's house mid-year into my own place

Consider the following scenario - an unmarried adult (Sue), with her own dependent child, lived for a few months in the home of her parent;  then she and her dependent child moved into a separate household for he remainder of the year which she  maintains independently,  Can Sue then file as Head-of-Household.  The IRS rules say that to file as Head of Household, you have to:

• Pay for more than half of the expenses for a qualifying household.
  • Be considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year.
  • Have a qualifying child or dependent.

How does one figure  "half of the expenses for a qualifying household" when there's more than one household?  Sue's parent did not claim her as a dependent during the period that she co-habited and Sue bought her own groceries, contributed to utilities, insurance, taxes and helped maintain her parent's household.  The she moved out with her dependent child and independently assumed the full cost of  her second household for the rest of the year.  The IRS rule says "This portion must be for the entire tax year." but how should this be apportioned or otherwise be pro-rated when the expenses vary over two different households?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I file as Head-of-Household if I and my dependent child moved out of my parent's house mid-year into my own place

Am I Head of Household?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900097-what-is-a-qualifying-person-for-head-of-household

If you qualify as Head of Household, when you enter your marital status (single or married filing separately) into MyInfo, and then enter your qualifying dependent, TurboTax will offer HOH as your filing status.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You would have had to have had your own household for the year to file as Head of Household. 

Does this mean that if I've lived with my dependent child in multiple residences during one year then I don't qualify as HOH?

If the residencies were yours during the year it wouldn’t matter how many you lived in. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies