Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

timjoynt1

Can i file an extension for my taxes because i have not received the paper work for the sale of some stocks?

the deadline to file taxes is coming soon i have not received the paper work for the sale of my stocks i need to file an extension but how or where is that done?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can i file an extension for my taxes because i have not received the paper work for the sale of some stocks?

You can use TurboTax Easy Extension to e-file an extension request.  The request will give you until October 17, 2022 to file the 2021 tax return.  However, if you have taxes owed those need to be paid on or before April 18, 2022 to avoid a failure to pay penalty.  The extension does not extend the time to pay taxes owed.

Go to this TurboTax website to e-file an extension - https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

timjoynt1

So if I don’t file my taxes by the deadline what happens. I am getting a refund

@timjoynt1 wrote:

So if I don’t file my taxes by the deadline what happens. I am getting a refund

Nothing happens.  You can file a tax return with a tax refund at any time for up to three years from the due date of the tax return.  For tax year 2021 that would at any time on or before April 15, 2025.

There are no penalties for filing after the due when there is a tax refund.

You can use TurboTax to e-file a 2021 tax return at any time up through October 17, 2022

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies