Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I file a federal extension but still file my state return?

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Can I file a federal extension but still file my state return?

Since your federal return isn't ready, it is probably better to file an extension for your state, too, as items missing from your federal return may impact your state return. If you still wish to file your state return now, you'll have to file a paper return since you can't e-file a state return before your federal return is e-filed. 

Please see the FAQ below for more information.

Can I e-file my state return before my federal?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies