Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file 217 taxes here

I dont have federal income and just need to file nm state taxes from 2017 to now. Can I do that here?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sorry---TurboTax no longer provides nor supports software for 2017.  TT only has software going back to 2020.   It is too late to get a refund for a 2017 tax return.   If you owe tax due to the state,  it is still owed, though.   You can seek help from a local paid tax professional.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@rebeccaetraeger 

Well, it's somewhat unusual that one doesn't have to file Fed taxes too, but I guess it is occasionally possible.

That being said

1) TurboTax works by filling in a Federal tax return first with roughly 95% of all information entered in the Federal section, and then the data is transferred by the software to the state forms.....Then some of the differences that the state might have are dealt with during the state interview AFTER fully filling in the Federal data.

2) TurboTax does not have stand-alone state forms.

3) Right now, TurboTax only has Federal+State software for 2020 thru 2023, and 2020, 2021 & 2022 must be purchased as software set that is downloaded to a full MAC or Windows computer.  2023 can be done now using either the "Online" browser-based software, or the download software for a full MAC or Windows computer.  The 2023 "Online software will fully shut down shortly after 15 October 2024, after which, only the download software will be available for use/purchase.

4) 2019 and earlier you would either have to use a local professional tax preparer, or download the state forms and instructions on the state's tax website...fill them out manually, and file each year separately by mail to the NM Tax Revenue department.   If only NM is going to be prepared by you manually, the forms are available at the following NM website:   Forms & Publications : Taxation and Revenue New Mexico

Scroll down and select

a)  "Income Taxes"

b) on the next page select either Current year or Prior  years lines

c) then select "Personal Income Tax (PIT)"

..............and go on from there to download that year's PDF forms to prepare manually.

Essentially you will need the PIT-1 forms and PIT-1 Instructions, then only access/download other forms only if the instructions indicate you need those extended schedules.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies