Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct hearing aid accessories?

Can I deduct the expenses for a remote microphone and associated hardware that work with my hearing aids? They're necessary for understanding speech in certain situations.  Also, can I deduct the cost of the hardware for listening to TV wirelessly through the aids? These two expenses are not listed in Pub 502, but there is a mention of TV captioning devices. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Fortunately, the federal government recognizes hearing aids as a deductible medical expense. The fact that you require hearing aids would make it necessary for other electronic listening devices. Getting a note/prescription from your doctor would also be advisable. According to IRS Publication 502 (Medical and Dental Expenses), “the cost of a hearing aid and batteries, repairs, and maintenance needed to operate it” all count toward your medical expense deduction.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MichaelDC

Fortunately, the federal government recognizes hearing aids as a deductible medical expense. The fact that you require hearing aids would make it necessary for other electronic listening devices. Getting a note/prescription from your doctor would also be advisable. According to IRS Publication 502 (Medical and Dental Expenses), “the cost of a hearing aid and batteries, repairs, and maintenance needed to operate it” all count toward your medical expense deduction.

Thanks! I'm still not positive about my question, because the words you quoted don't directly state that they encompass extra hardware that sends TV audio wirelessly to my aids, or a microphone worn by a remote speaker. Pub 502 does mention some associated expenses, but nothing that seems to include this kind of expense. But if hearing aid (functional) accessories are part of the deductible expenses, that would be great.
MichaelDC

It's impossible for the IRS to list every single possible medical deduction. You'll be following the intention of the law by following the above guidelines.

Thanks!
MichaelDC

Happy to have helped. Good luck!

Thank you for your help all. Never used as I don't have all reciepts but good to know. 

Ms. Theresa . 

P.s. I always believed I could all these years as they are required for work. 

cdooley14

FYI - reading this post with interest because at this time, my flexible benefits card manager Wage Works is denying the receipt for $199 for TV audio assistance device - so I no longer have to struggle to read captions, that I submitted along with hearing aids in December 2019. I will update if I have new information, but may have to pay this item out of my pocket.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Only medically required equipment is eligible to be deducted.  If you use the standard deduction you cannot deduct any medical expenses.  You can only deduct medical expenses if you itemize your deductions.

The standard deductions for 2019 are.

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older add.
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older.
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older. 
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies