turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jen13

Can I claim self employed health insurance if my spouse doesn't get health insurance thru his employer but gets partial compensation to use towards our individual plan?

I am self employed. We have individual health insurance for our family. My husband's company does not offer him health insurance but does give him some compensation to use towards our premiums. Can I claim the amount we spend on health insurance premiums that is not covered by the "reimbursement" my husband receives? (For instance, we pay about $1500/month and my husband's company only gives him about $800/month to use towards health insurance.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim self employed health insurance if my spouse doesn't get health insurance thru his employer but gets partial compensation to use towards our individual plan?

Yes, the un-reimbursed portion is deductible since this is not an employer-sponsored plan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, the un-reimbursed portion is deductible since this is not an employer-sponsored plan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies