My sister has lived with me for 7 months. She received SSI as of October, I believe food stamps for about 4 months and she gets medi-cal. I don't believe she included my income on any of her public assistance applications, so I don't know if I can claim her or not...
You may be able to claim your sister as a Qualifying Relative dependent if:
- You provided more than half of her support in 2016
- She earned less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. (Social Security income generally doesn’t count here.)
- She lives with you 365 days in the year or is related to you.
- She isn’t a dependent on someone else’s tax return.
- She isn’t filing a tax return with a spouse (married filing jointly).
- She is a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident
You can’t claim a dependent if you are a dependent on someone else’s taxes
Your sister's food stamps and Medi-Cal is not included as taxable income.
Still have questions?Make a post