Can i claim my granddaughter she is 11 and lived with me since 6/24/2018 she is on ssi ?

Get the latest tax filing updates.

From the facts stated, it would appear that you can. Please review the following requirements for claiming a qualifying child dependent.

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiancé, or other member of your household as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet either of the following sets of requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you;
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else;
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, U.S. national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse or are filing a joint return only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid;
  • They are under the age of 19, or 24 if a full-time student;
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (temporary absences from your home, while living at school, still count as time living with you); and
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

A new requirement this year is that each qualifying child dependent must have a Social Security Number, issued before the due date of your tax return (including extensions) to be claimed for the Child Tax Credit.