From the facts stated, it would appear that you ca...
New Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

From the facts stated, it would appear that you can. Please review the following requirements for claiming a qualifying child dependent.

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiancé, or other member of your household as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet either of the following sets of requirements:

Qualifying child

  • They are related to you;
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else;
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, U.S. national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse or are filing a joint return only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid;
  • They are under the age of 19, or 24 if a full-time student;
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (temporary absences from your home, while living at school, still count as time living with you); and
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

A new requirement this year is that each qualifying child dependent must have a Social Security Number, issued before the due date of your tax return (including extensions) to be claimed for the Child Tax Credit.

This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings