Solved: Can I claim my 19yr child that works part time and goes to to school full time if she will be filing her own taxes

luvdonnas1-cg

Can I claim my 19yr child that works part time and goes to to school full time if she will be filing her own taxes

ThomasM

Yes, you can still claim her as a dependent on your tax return.  However, if you're going to claim her, she should not claim herself when she files her own return.  This is something the two of you will need to discuss to make sure she is not claimed on both returns.

If she's filing her return with TurboTax, one of the early questions she'll encounter while entering her personal information will be, "Can someone else claim you as a dependent?"  If she selects "yes," then TurboTax will ask her a follow-up question, "Will someone else claim you in 2016?"  She should select "yes" to this question as well.

ThomasM