turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pamojica

Can I claim my 19 year old daughter who was a full time student if she is also filing

My daughter is 19 and lived with me all year, she is a full time student and also worked. She is filing her own taxes and claiming the education credit can I still claim her as a dependent?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leal

Can I claim my 19 year old daughter who was a full time student if she is also filing

Hello pamojica,

For every dependent you have, you can claim a dependent exemption on your federal income tax return. In 2013, each dependent gives you a deduction worth $3,900.

If you're supporting someone who lives with you, say a boyfriend or a friend down on her luck, you might be able to claim that person as a dependent.

And if economic realities mean that you’ve had grown children move back home with you, or that you’ve extended financial help to a family member, they too might qualify as your dependents.

Tip: The rules for dependents can be tricky. To claim someone as a dependent you'll need to answer all relevant questions in the Personal Info section of TurboTax. We want to make sure you receive any tax breaks for which you qualify.

Exemptions for children who qualify

You can receive a dependent exemption for each qualifying child, who could include:

• Your child, stepchild or foster child
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister
  • Or a child or grandchild of any of these

To qualify as a dependent child, the child must live with you more than half of the year, and be under age 19 (or under age 24 if a full-time student) at the end of 2013. That's defined as attending school full time for at least part of five calendar months of the year – whether at home or away at school.

If your child provides more than half of his or her own support, you cannot claim the child as a dependent.

To determine if a child qualifies as your dependent, complete the Personal Info section in TurboTax.

Note: There are special rules for children of divorced or separated parents and for persons receiving support from two or more individuals. If you are in this situation, read IRS Publication 504: Divorced or Separated Individuals.

Other relatives

Many families provide homes for relatives such as parents or grandparents, or give financial support to relatives who live across town or across the country.

Here's a list of the people considered to be relatives who might qualify as dependents even if they don't live with you:

• Children, grandchildren, and stepchildren
  • Siblings, including half and step siblings
  • Parent and grandparents
  • Stepparents
  • Aunts and uncles
  • Nieces and nephews
  • Fathers-in-law, mothers-in-law, sons-in-law, daughters-in-law, brothers-in-law, and sisters-in-law

They must ALSO meet these qualifications for the year:

• Have been a citizen or resident of the United States, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  • Did not file a joint income tax return with anyone else.
  • Received more than half his or her support from you.
  • Had less than $3,900 of income for the entire year. (Generally that amount does not include Social Security benefits.)

Note: If your child is not a qualifying child for 2013 because he or she does not meet the age/student test or the principal place of residence test, you may still be able to claim a dependent exemption for the child as your qualifying relative, but only if he or she has gross income under $3,900 and you provide more than half of his or her support.

Answer the questions in the Personal Info section of TurboTax to determine who qualifies as your dependent.

Members of your household not related to you

If you're supporting someone who lives with you, claim that person as a dependent ONLY if:

• The person lived with you all year.
  • He or she is a citizen or resident of the United States, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  • He or she did not file a joint income tax return with anyone else.
  • You provided more than half of his or her support.
  • The person has less than $3,900 of income for the entire year. (Generally that amount does not include Social Security benefits.)

Claiming yourself or your spouse as a dependent

Our customers often ask if they can claim themselves or their spouses as dependents. Well, it doesn't work quite like that.

You and your spouse are each entitled to a personal exemption from taxes of $3,900 on your tax return. (So you can't claim yourself or your spouse as a "dependent," but you already get the same financial benefit from your personal exemption.)

TurboTax automatically calculates this for you

Hope this helps.

Leal

View solution in original post

3 Replies
amyrn1229

My son has a Maine drivers license and attends college there. He stays with his grandparents and comes home for breaks, weekends, holiday s and summer to work. Can I claim him as my dependent
Leal

Hello pamojica,

For every dependent you have, you can claim a dependent exemption on your federal income tax return. In 2013, each dependent gives you a deduction worth $3,900.

If you're supporting someone who lives with you, say a boyfriend or a friend down on her luck, you might be able to claim that person as a dependent.

And if economic realities mean that you’ve had grown children move back home with you, or that you’ve extended financial help to a family member, they too might qualify as your dependents.

Tip: The rules for dependents can be tricky. To claim someone as a dependent you'll need to answer all relevant questions in the Personal Info section of TurboTax. We want to make sure you receive any tax breaks for which you qualify.

Exemptions for children who qualify

You can receive a dependent exemption for each qualifying child, who could include:

• Your child, stepchild or foster child
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister
  • Or a child or grandchild of any of these

To qualify as a dependent child, the child must live with you more than half of the year, and be under age 19 (or under age 24 if a full-time student) at the end of 2013. That's defined as attending school full time for at least part of five calendar months of the year – whether at home or away at school.

If your child provides more than half of his or her own support, you cannot claim the child as a dependent.

To determine if a child qualifies as your dependent, complete the Personal Info section in TurboTax.

Note: There are special rules for children of divorced or separated parents and for persons receiving support from two or more individuals. If you are in this situation, read IRS Publication 504: Divorced or Separated Individuals.

Other relatives

Many families provide homes for relatives such as parents or grandparents, or give financial support to relatives who live across town or across the country.

Here's a list of the people considered to be relatives who might qualify as dependents even if they don't live with you:

• Children, grandchildren, and stepchildren
  • Siblings, including half and step siblings
  • Parent and grandparents
  • Stepparents
  • Aunts and uncles
  • Nieces and nephews
  • Fathers-in-law, mothers-in-law, sons-in-law, daughters-in-law, brothers-in-law, and sisters-in-law

They must ALSO meet these qualifications for the year:

• Have been a citizen or resident of the United States, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  • Did not file a joint income tax return with anyone else.
  • Received more than half his or her support from you.
  • Had less than $3,900 of income for the entire year. (Generally that amount does not include Social Security benefits.)

Note: If your child is not a qualifying child for 2013 because he or she does not meet the age/student test or the principal place of residence test, you may still be able to claim a dependent exemption for the child as your qualifying relative, but only if he or she has gross income under $3,900 and you provide more than half of his or her support.

Answer the questions in the Personal Info section of TurboTax to determine who qualifies as your dependent.

Members of your household not related to you

If you're supporting someone who lives with you, claim that person as a dependent ONLY if:

• The person lived with you all year.
  • He or she is a citizen or resident of the United States, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  • He or she did not file a joint income tax return with anyone else.
  • You provided more than half of his or her support.
  • The person has less than $3,900 of income for the entire year. (Generally that amount does not include Social Security benefits.)

Claiming yourself or your spouse as a dependent

Our customers often ask if they can claim themselves or their spouses as dependents. Well, it doesn't work quite like that.

You and your spouse are each entitled to a personal exemption from taxes of $3,900 on your tax return. (So you can't claim yourself or your spouse as a "dependent," but you already get the same financial benefit from your personal exemption.)

TurboTax automatically calculates this for you

Hope this helps.

Leal

Can't find info on "in-kind" support (room and board) provided to college students by institution supplementing parent's support
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies