Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim a dependent child in California if she have more than $4,500 in income that make her ineligible for dependent in federal tax?

I cannot claim my child as a dependent under Federal return because she made $10,000 but it seems I can claim her as a dependent in my California tax return, is it correct and I am able to claim her as a dependent in my California tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Can I claim a dependent child in California if she have more than $4,500 in income that make her ineligible for dependent in federal tax?

The determining factor for whether you can claim a dependent is whether you pay more than half of her living expenses, not how much she earns. She can earn $40,000, but if you are paying more than half of her support, she is still your dependent, provided that she fulfills the other requirements of age, relationship, citizenship/residency status, and residence.

Your California return is based upon your federal return. California uses the same definitions for a dependent as the federal government, so if you list different dependents on the two returns, California may contact you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies