Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I claim 8 allowances while being single and living with parents?

I recently graduated and got a job. Received my first paycheck and was welcomed to adulthood by looking at how much Uncle Sam took from my paycheck (as much as I love this country) I was surprised. Now I have a question, what if I don't care about getting a tax return and will be fine breaking even? I currently live with parents, and am single. Can I claim allowances at all?
2 Replies
Level 13
Level 13

Can I claim 8 allowances while being single and living with parents?

Please visit the IRS site and use the withholding calculator -- it is the best way to know if you are having sufficient taxes withheld --->

For a single person, not paying a home mortgage / property taxes, it would be dangerous to use a 8  allowances -- you are lilley to be quite a bit under-withheld resulting in interest and penalty charges.

Level 15

Can I claim 8 allowances while being single and living with parents?

Here's an answer to a question you didn't ask: can your parents still claim you as a dependent for 2016 (answer written from the parent's point of view).

Graduation year
If he/she was a student (under 24) for at least 5 months and lived with you for more than half the year, and did not provide more than 1/2 his own support for the whole year, you can still claim him. Be sure he knows you're claiming him, so he doesn't claim himself. He can only be claimed once. But, he can "file taxes" without claiming his own exemption.
The real question is who should be claiming him in this "transition" year to adulthood. You two have to agree on who is going to claim his exemption. Each should do their taxes both ways and see which way the family comes out best.  Even then, you have to meet the rules. The rule is that a child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” dependent, regardless of  his income, if:
1. he is a full time student under 24 for at least 5 calendar months of the year (graduating in May usually means you meet the 5 month rule)
2. he did not provide more than 1/2 his own support  (scholarships are considered 3rd party support and not support provided by the student).
3. lived with the parent (including time away at school) for more than half the year

So, it usually hinges on  "Did he provide more than 1/2 his own support in 2016.
The support value of the home you provided is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants. IRS Publication 501 on page 20 has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href=""></a>

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies