felinok12

Can i be claimed as a dependent if I work full time and am out of school but live at home? Ended 2017 at the age of 24. Parents already said they wouldnt claim me as dep.

Parents mentioned they would not claim me as a dependent. I am referencing this question in specific: Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return. 

ModestaL

If your parents will not be claiming you as a dependent then, you would answer No to that question, "Can I be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return." (See image below).

However, you could be claim as a dependent if the following Qualifying Child requirements are met below. You could still file your own tax return and receive a refund of the taxes withheld or balance owed. Then, you would need to indicate on your tax return that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Here's a link to the IRS website for more information about Qualifying Child: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/a-qualifying-child

ModestaL

To be a Qualifying Child -

felinok12

So from that list I do line up with point 1,3,6. But they said on their taxes I am not a dependent so can I still say No to that question? I did not pay rent or anything like that while living at home.
ModestaL

Yes, if they are not claiming you on their tax return you would answer, No to that question. See image above your comment.