Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fthometz

Can I allocate unearned income from stock sale to my adult son, with whom I have a joint account? The account has me as primary owner with my SS number.

Securities are owned by my son but the account went from UTMA to a joint account when he turned 21. He’s 25 now. I want him to take cap gain this year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I allocate unearned income from stock sale to my adult son, with whom I have a joint account? The account has me as primary owner with my SS number.

Yes. From the instructions for form 8949:

"You received a Form 1099-B or 1099-S (or substitute statement) as a nominee for the actual owner of the property..."

"Report the transaction on Form 8949 as you would if you were the actual owner, but also enter any resulting gain as a negative adjustment (in parentheses) in column (g) or any resulting loss as a positive adjustment in column (g). As a result of this adjustment, the amount in column (h) should be zero."  Enter code N in column (f).

For how to do this, in TurboTax, see:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/how-do-i-enter-nominee-amounts-on-schedu...

EDIT: I’ve been advised that code N can be entered on the Capital Gains (loss) Adjustments Worksheet.

Check the nominee box (code N) and enter the adjustment amount in Part III Specific adjustments.

Direct entries on works sheets is only available in the download/CD versions of TT. You can’t do it with online TT.

As an aside: you seem to have set this up wrong. A UTMA account is usually  set up with the child's SS#.  When the child reaches age of majority the account goes only in his name, not a joint account with the parent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies