Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TIFP
Level 1

Can I add extra income without a 1099-MISC in TurboTax? When I tried, I was kicked out of the screen. It was not enough income to get a 1099-MISC.

Can I add extra income without a 1099-MISC in TurboTax? When I tried, I was kicked out of the screen. I need to add the extra income but when I went to the extra income page, it asked if I had a 1099-MISC,when I selected 'No', I was kicked out of the screen.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I add extra income without a 1099-MISC in TurboTax? When I tried, I was kicked out of the screen. It was not enough income to get a 1099-MISC.

Yes, you can. But where you enter it depends on how and why you got the money.
If you got the money for working, it is treated as self employment income.  

You report the income from your own records. The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & medicare tax) on any profits greater than $400.
You may have to upgrade to the Self Employment version of TT. If you have no expenses to deduct, There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). You do not need the payer's ("employer's") Employer ID Number (EIN).
In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab
 - Wages & Income
Scroll down to:
   - Other Common Income
      -Income from Form 1099-Misc
When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Freelancer or Independent contractor”
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies