turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SAE72003
Returning Member

California Tax filing for 2020

In 2020 I used Turbotax online to file my federal tax return but did not file state for California. Can I use TurboTax to file my 2020 California tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

In order to prepare a 2020 state return you will need the  CD/download software for 2020---it is not possible to use online for a 2020 return.   If you used TT for your 2020 federal return you can download the 2020 desktop software to a full PC or Mac--not to a mobile device or phone.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900990-how-do-i-file-a-prior-year-tax-return

And...the 2020 return will have to be printed and mailed.   It cannot be e-filed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
SAE72003
Returning Member

I just need to file state only for 2020, since I already filed federal 2020 with TT online back in April 2021. Will the software pull my 2020 information and put in on my state? I ask because I do not have my W-2s with me.

Information flows from the federal return to the state return.   You have to use exactly the same account and user ID to access the tax file for the federal and you will have to pay for the state software.   And....when you mail a tax return you are supposed to attach copies of your W-2's and/or any 1099's that show tax withheld.   Try getting copies from your employer.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies