turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099Misc from my employer for a bonus, TurboTax is is asking all kinds of questions I don't have answers to regarding Schedule Cs. I'm not self-employed.

It is reported as "Other Income" in box 3, that is the only box with income information. Thank you. The income could be a bonus or profit sharing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I received a 1099Misc from my employer for a bonus, TurboTax is is asking all kinds of questions I don't have answers to regarding Schedule Cs. I'm not self-employed.

This is an easy way to enter Box 3 income.

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, click Continue your return, then pick up where I left off (if you are using TurboTax CD/ Download, then just open your return on your computer).
  1. Click on Federal Taxes at the top of the screen.
  2. At the bottom of Your Income box pick the option in blue to help me add other income, then jump to full list;
  3. Scroll down the page to the last section titled: Less common Income and click show more;
  4. Select start or update next to the last topic titled Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C;
  5. Scroll down to the last option titled Other reportable income and select start or edit;
  6. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return.

This will place it on line 21 of your Form 1040

But I received a 1099-MISC
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, box 3 of Form 1099-Misc.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Box 3 is Other Income.

It states "do not enter income reported on 1099-MISC"
TomD8
Level 15

Your employer made a mistake.  Employee bonuses are supposed to be reported on your W-2, not on a 1099-MISC.  So I would enter your 1099-MISC as follows:

Less Common Income > Miscellaneous Income > Other Income not already reported on a W-2 or 1099-MISC  > "Yes" to Did you receive any other wages? > continue past the household employee and sick pay screens > "Yes" again to Did you earn any other wages > then check "Employee compensation that was not reported on a W-2" > and proceed on.  Carefully follow the directions on each screen that follows.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4133772-how-can-i-file-an-employer-issued-1099misc-for-a-bonus-to-...>
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Ok thank you. It is ok to do this even though Turbo Tax says "do not enter income reported on 1099-MISC"?
TomD8
Level 15

Yes, assuming you did not already enter the 1099-MISC.  The TurboTax instruction is a bit confusing.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
TomD8
Level 15

I should have said that another option is to ask your employer to void the 1099-MISC and issue a corrected W2.
Manage cookies