turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business Use Percentage for Daycare

The Home Office Percentage (Business Use Percentage) for my home daycare is not being calculated corrected by Turbo Tax Home and Business.  I use 1400 sq ft of my 2800 sq ft home for the daycare.  I use my home 10 hours a day, 5 days per week for the day care.  In 2020, the daycare was not in operation for 116 days.  The Home Office Percentage should be calculated as follows : 366 days - 116 days = 250 days in which my home operated as daycare  ; 250 days x 10 hours/ day = 2500 hours that my home operated as a daycare in 2020. 

Total hours for 2020 = 366 days x 24 hours/day = 8784 hours.  2500 hours/8784 hours = 28.46% x 1400/2800 = 14.23%  However, Turbo Tax comes up with a home Office Percentage of  8.2%.  When I entered the correct information on the actual Form 8829, I got a review error saying I could not e-file with overridden information on that form.  How can this be corrected.  How can I report this problem directly to Turbo Tax.  I followed the directions given in the reply initially-Turbo Tax software is not calculating the percentage properly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I spoke with a Turbo Tax expert who solved my issue.  The problem is the entry of the "Number of days the home was closed (Includes holidays, vacations, and other days the business was not operating)"  This number should not include weekends.  When I remove the weekend days, it calculates correctly.  The wording can be confusing as it indicates "and other days the business was not operating" which for me included the weekend.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Click this link for more info on Calculating Day Care Use Percentage

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed everything indicated in your response.  Turbo tax is not calculating the percentage correctly.

I spoke with a Turbo Tax expert who solved my issue.  The problem is the entry of the "Number of days the home was closed (Includes holidays, vacations, and other days the business was not operating)"  This number should not include weekends.  When I remove the weekend days, it calculates correctly.  The wording can be confusing as it indicates "and other days the business was not operating" which for me included the weekend.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies