Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Push the Edge
Returning Member

Bug on Turbo Tax Business regarding business activity code number

Hi I've discovered a bug on Turbo Tax Business on Windows 10. When I try and enter my business activity code number (511210), it rejects it (it deletes the entire number from the field), whether in step-by-step or directly on the form. I believe the reason is it's not accepting numbers with a 0 at the end, because 999999 and any other numbers I enter work. Would appreciate it if this could be passed on to the developers. Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, this isn't a TurboTax problem. The  North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes are updated every five years and 511210 is not a valid code for 2022. You will need to select a new code or use 999999. 

Click here for more information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Push the Edge
Returning Member

Julie, it was a Turbo Tax problem because it didn't have the updated code list. But I found the updated one on the website and now it works. 

Business Code Screen Shot 2.pngBusiness Code Screen Shot.png

Thankful
Returning Member

Hi PushtheEdge

I am asking for your help with regard to your response to Julie:

"... it was a Turbo Tax problem because it didn't have the updated code list. But I found the updated one on the website and now it works."

My question: I am having the same problem. Would you mind telling me where you found the Turbo Tax updated code list and how you got it to work with your software?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

When you click Look up my business code you are seeing the most up-to-date code list.  If you can not find your code used in a previous year, you can use 999999 and this will not cause any issues with your return.

@Thankful 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Push the Edge
Returning Member

I think it was here I found the up to date code: https://www.census.gov/naics/

Thankful
Returning Member

Thank you!

louwho73

Hi, I am having this same issue and I followed the troubleshooting suggestions in this thread and I can't seem to get it to work. It won't let me file my return electronically and keep looping me back to the business code. I've entered the new correct code many times and it wont accept it. I also tried 999999 and that didn't work either. Please let me know what you suggest. thank you!

louwho73

Ok. I finally got it to work... so if it's helpful to others, i just kept trying codes (even ones that are not actually my code) and it eventually worked. It was one that ended in a 0 that worked. this is a turbo tax bug. my actual code is not in the turbo tax database for the new 2022 codes.

Graybooks
Returning Member

Same issue here, on NAICS 561520, a code that's been on the current list in each of the last three 5-year updates. TurboTax Business will not accept it for e-filing a 1065. I gave up and printed it out for filing by mail. I have another 1065 to do, and I don't yet know if that 1065 will e-file or not. Please fix this bug, TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies