Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

surgicalRN
Returning Member

Box 3 Amount Changes during Review

Hello!

I have a quick question if anyone is able to help.  I'm at the beginning steps where I have to enter the W-2 forms.  I'm filling out my spouse's W-2.  I've triple-checked that all the boxes and amounts are correct.  Boxes 1 and 5 are the same number, but Box 3 is a different number (Social Security Wages).

After filling out all W-2's, TurboTax does a review to see if I filled everything out correctly.  But in the review, the Box 3 amount shows the same amount as Boxes 1 and 5 - not the correct amount I originally typed in.  I've done this three times already and it still shows the incorrect amount for Box 3 during the review.

Is this a bug in TurboTax?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you so much,

C.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hi, @surgicalRN:

I am having the exact same issue under a chat thread entitled, "Social Security Wage Discrepancy."  The only thing I've received in the way of feedback so far is to ensure that the W2 is allocated to the correct spouse.  If it is, and you've already deleted said W2 and re-added multiple times (as I have), then follow these instructions:

In order for us to troubleshoot this issue, you can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions for TurboTax Desktop users:

1. From the black bar at the top of your screen, select Online
  2. Click Send Tax File to Agent
  3. Click Send on the message that pops up
  4. TurboTax will create a "sanitized" copy of your return information with no personal info
  5. Post the 7-digit token number here in this thread

Here are the instructions for TurboTax Online users: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up that says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to review your file to see what you are seeing, and we can determine what is going on in your return and provide you with a suggested resolution here in this discussion thread."

I hope this helps you!  I'm interested to see what your resolution is.  I will share if I receive one before you and would appreciate the same in return.

Thanks,

Candace

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@surgicalRN 

It sounds like the Review caught something wrong in the review, otherwise I don't think it would have shown the W-2s. 

Was there an error message at the same time? What was it?

Is it possible for you to do a screenshot after obscuring any personal identifiable information? Based on what you have said, I don't know where to look.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies