Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jperez914

Box 20 is blank on my w2 but turbo tax keeps telling me to enter something

it keeps telling me somethings wrong
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Belling

You can try entering 0 in Box 20, to see if that helps to resolve this issue. Box 20 and Box 19 go together, so to say. If you have an amount in box 19, but nothing in box 20, this is a problem. This could be why TurboTax will not let you proceed.  With an amount in box 19, box 20 needs a locality name that the amount in box 19 was paid to. This is usually a city income tax or sometimes state disability payments. In any case, there needs to be a locality name in box 20, if box 19 includes any amount. Please see the Word Doc I have attached that explains every single box and code on your w-2.  You should contact your employer to inquire about the mistake. 

Box 19 is grayed out and box 20 has a 0 in it can not clear the 0 but wants an entry.

i am not a business owner instructions state box 20 should be0.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you wanting to review or correct boxes 18 through 20 of a W-2?

Return to the W-2 entry to review the entries for boxes 18 through 20 of the W-2.  Follow these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Wages & Income.
  • Under Your income, scroll down to W-2.
  • Click on Edit/Add to the right of W-2.
  • Click on Add another W-2.
  • At the screen Now let's update the rest, scroll down to Boxes 18-20.

Box 20 may require the name of a locality.

@bhoveypraises01 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you imported a W-2 and TT won't let you change it, you may have to delete the W-2 and re-enter it manually.

Boxes 18-20 are for local (city, county, school district, other) income taxes.  You should know whether you pay was subject to local withholding.  Boxes 18-20 are blank for most people.  There should ever be a 0 in box 20. 

i am trying to figure out on filing my state taxes, virginia, federal is correct. Here is what needs to be corrected on Virginia tax return. This is how it reads:

Other Additions Statement : Code - 20 - Amount (TP) and Code 20 - (SP) should be blank because no credit is being claimed for Pass Through Entity Elective Tax PaymentCredit on Schedule CR,Section3,Part 6.

The form they show is BOX 20 needs and entry. IT SHOWS a 0 zero in the box. All the other boxes are grayed out and can not be changed. BOX 19 has nothing in it and is also grayed out. According to the credit, I did not earn it so BOX 20 should be a 0 zero. If you remove that 0 zero , it forses you to put it back in. I have tried leaving it blank but says "I have to enter a valid number" When I add 0 zero back into BOX 20 it will not correct the mistake. I can not e file until the BOX 20 is correct.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Start a new post, so you can get somebody familiar with the  VA  software to look at it. Title it Virginia Other Income additions. 

You've tagged on to an unrelated topic thread.  The chances of somebody familiar with VA software seeing it are very low

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@bhoveypraises01  Can you clarify what you are seeing, which line and form? Here the VA instructions and other additions begins on page 18 to help you help us!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies