Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

melibohn

Box 20 has same locality name listed twice and getting error message when entering. Should I combine info?

Box 18 is same amount listed twice. Box 19 is 2 different amounts.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Box 20 has same locality name listed twice and getting error message when entering. Should I combine info?

If your W-2 reports two lines of entry for the same locality, combine the two lines into one line.  Delete the extra line by clicking the Delete trashcan.

If your W-2 reports two lines for two different localities, you may add another locality reported on boxes 18 through 20 of your W-2.  Follow these directions in TurboTax Online.

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Wages & Income.
  • Under Wages and Salaries, click Show more.
  • Click on Edit / Add / Revisit to the right of Wages and Salaries (W-2).
  • At the screen Your W-2 info so far, click Edit to the right of the W-2 to be reviewed.
  • Click Continue.
  • At the screen Now let's update the rest, scroll down and click Add another locality to add the second line of information.

@melibohn 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If your W-2 reports two lines of entry for the same locality, combine the two lines into one line.  Delete the extra line by clicking the Delete trashcan.

If your W-2 reports two lines for two different localities, you may add another locality reported on boxes 18 through 20 of your W-2.  Follow these directions in TurboTax Online.

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Wages & Income.
  • Under Wages and Salaries, click Show more.
  • Click on Edit / Add / Revisit to the right of Wages and Salaries (W-2).
  • At the screen Your W-2 info so far, click Edit to the right of the W-2 to be reviewed.
  • Click Continue.
  • At the screen Now let's update the rest, scroll down and click Add another locality to add the second line of information.

@melibohn 

JSweger35

How should I combine? Box 20 will obviously have the same name. Box 19 has two different values, so should I add them together? Box 18 has two of the same value. Do I add those together, or just use the value listed on one of them?

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You could check with your employer to determine whether one of the duplicate localities is incorrect; otherwise, you can add the values for the same box together if you have more than one line with the same locality name in Box 20.

The entry in W-2, Box 20, is the name of the locality responsible for assessing your local income tax. It could be a city, town, school district, or something else. Depending on where you live, you may even have more than one. If you do, just add a new row to enter info for another locality.

There should only be one Box 20 entry per locality.  All of the wages taxed by one locality on one W-2 should be on a single line.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies