Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sylvestag
Returning Member

Box 16

TurboTax wants a number from Box 16 on W-2 form. I didn't get a W-2, but a 1099-R instead, and Box 16 is empty, so what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
sylvestag
Returning Member

Box 16

I know it isn't a product question, but it is a form question, so please answer it.

Box 16

Do not try to enter a 1099R in the area for W-2's.

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sylvestag
Returning Member

Box 16

TurboTax created a 1040-SR for me. Is that my official return? Is that what I submit to the IRS?

Box 16

@sylvestag wrote:

TurboTax created a 1040-SR for me. Is that my official return? Is that what I submit to the IRS?

Yes.  a 1040/1040SR (pulse and additional schedules) IS the tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
sylvestag
Returning Member

Box 16

Thank you, but the 1099-SR does NOT have a number in Box 16, so that means I must send my return to the IRS by mail, that I cannot E-file it. Right?

Box 16

The IRS does not allow e-filing a do-nothing tax return with no taxable amount.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Box 16

You are mixing up a 1040SR for a senior tax return ( it's the same as a regular 1040 tax return)  with your 1099R form.  

Did you enter the 1099R in the right spot?  It doesn't go in the W2 area.  Does it show up on your 1040SR return on line 4?  Either on 4a or 4c.

Now on your 1099R does it have anything in boxes 15-17?  If not then leave them blank.

sylvestag
Returning Member

Box 16

Let's start all over again.

I am retired. I did NOT get a W-2 from the university - I got a 1099-R. 

I make my way through TurboTax almost to the end to a point where it wants me to enter something from Box 16. My 1099-R has nothing in boxes 15 16, 17.

So Since I cannot put anything into that TurboTax query, TurboTax won't let me e-file my federal return, it says send it by mail, and thus TurboTax won't take me to completion.

Box 16

It must think you entered something in 15-17, even just a space.  Delete the 1099R and renter it.  That may clear it out.

Box 16

Box 16 on a 1099-R had nothing to dos with a 1099-R.   Box 16 on a 1099-R is for local tax.   Leave boxes 15-17 on the 1099-R blank.    Delete the 1099-R and re-enter it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies